- This event has passed.
PHOTO-Synthesis with Kendra Sollars
In this 90-minute workshop, participants will create their own black and white, still, digitally manipulated image inspired by native Arizona plant species in the style of Kendra Sollars’ Synthesis.
Thursday, Nov 11, 2021, 8 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Tickets: $10
This workshop will take place in the Nationwide Innovation Zone. Please arrive 15 minutes early. Masks are encouraged.
About the Event
In this 90-minute workshop, participants will create their own black and white, still, digitally manipulated image inspired by native Arizona plant species in the style of Kendra Sollars’ Synthesis. Sollars is a Tempe-based interdisciplinary artist, currently working in digital video projection and investigating the human connection with the natural world. Her piece Synthesis is a large-scale video projection which reimagines the human form as native Arizona plant species as they blossom and grow.
This workshop is for adults and teens. You must bring your own laptop, pre-loaded with specific software. See details below.
*If you do not have access to a laptop, we have a limited number of them. Please reserve by emailing [email protected].
Before you arrive for the workshop:
- Please download GIMP (a free software similar to Photoshop) for your specific laptop’s operating system here: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/. **There will be no WiFi available at the workshop, so this must be downloaded prior to arrival.
- Please make sure to open GIMP at least one time prior to the workshop, as it can take some time to initiate setup.
- You will need to bring your own laptop with GIMP loaded onto it to the workshop. Don’t forget your charger, as well.
- You will need at least one digital image of yourself, a friend, a family member, or a pet that you would like to use to create your artwork.
Tips for your photos:
- A solid-colored background with no objects behind the subject is best but is not required.
- Make sure to include the entire body of the subject you have photographed.
- Interesting poses/positions can add to the dynamics of your piece.
- Feel free to bring more than one photo, already loaded onto your computer, if you would like to have a few to choose from prior to selecting one for your piece.
Email [email protected] with any questions.